• Page:

TOPIC: Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 09:01 #1473

• grady257
  • grady257's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Tokyo, Japan, April 1, 2014 - Astellas Pharma Inc. (Tokyo: 4503, President and CEO: Yoshihiko Hatanaka, hereinafter called “Astellas”) has established the "Regenerative Medicine Unit" as of April 1, 2014 as an organization reporting to the Senior Vice President and President, Drug Discovery Research in order to promptly establish regenerative medicine research and build an autonomous and highly agile research management structure.

Astellas announced in May last year that it would expand the effort in the regenerative medicine and would make full-fledged effort in the cell therapy in addition to the discovery research and development of conventional pharmaceuticals for regenerative medicine that it had been working on. Now Astellas has established a new organization that will specialize in the research of the regenerative medicine and cell therapy to accelerate the advancement to the emerging medical field with cutting-edge technology platform.

The Regenerative Medicine Unit will implement the following activities in order to continuously create pipelines for regenerative medicine and cell therapy that will have advantages in the competition, in a speedy manner.
• To establish and maintain technology platform involving regenerative medicine and cell therapy taking advantage of multi-functional characteristics of cells in order to realize higher efficacy of treatment that cannot be achieved by existing therapy.
• To bear the hub function as the core research unit of regenerative medicine and cell therapy research.

This Unit will seek for the talents with variety of experience and knowledge from inside and outside the company along with the progress of the research and development and will expand the organizational platform.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 09:20 #1474

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
Thanks Grady- did you hit the Red Sox HR last night???? :grin:

This comes from various sources apparently: PMLive has the one below-

PMlive article on Astellas

As folks reading this page know: Astellas also has a stake in US Fate Therapeutics- FATE.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 09:28 #1475

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Good point Fas as while the article mentions Cytori this part sure sounds like someone else

***Last year, scientists at the two organisations reported they had developed a technique to identify, harvest and expand the population of nephron progenitor cells within the kidney, which could be a source of cells for treating chronic renal failure and other refractory kidney disease.***

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 09:30 #1476

• fas
:really: :really: :really: :puke:

Very embarrassing- but I do not remember this at all.

Anybody?

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 10:17 #1477

• d9dozrman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Here is an announcement with Astellas and Kyoto University from last year.

d9 :really:

article.wn.com/view/2013/06/18/Astellas_and_CiRA_Kyoto_University_discover_efficient_method/

Astellas and CiRA, Kyoto University discover efficient methods of differentiating nephron progenitor cells from human iPS/ES cells - Presented at ISSCR's 11th Annual Meeting -

Tokyo, June 18, 2013 - Astellas Pharma Inc. (Tokyo: 4503; "Astellas") and Kyoto University's Center for iPS Cell Research and Application (Director: Dr. Shinya Yamanaka; "CiRA"), as a part of their collaborative research for kidney regenerative medicine, discovered methods of efficiently carrying out one of the processes in which kidneys are regenerated from human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS cells) and human embryonic stem cells (ES cells), and presented the discovery at the International Society for Stem Cell Research's (ISSCR) 11th Annual Meeting (held in Boston from June 12 to 15, 2013).

The development of kidney regenerative medicines is desirable in order to contribute to the treatment of chronic renal failure and other refractory renal diseases. There is currently no effective treatment for refractory renal diseases, and more people are expected to suffer from these diseases as the society continues to age. Although kidney transplantation is only one curative treatment for these diseases, the shortage of donors remains an unresolved issue.

Astellas has been involved in collaborative research for kidney regenerative medicine with a research group at Kyoto University's CiRA led by Associate Professor Dr. Kenji Osafune, a leading researcher of kidney regeneration from iPS cells. A part of this research effort is to generate cells which are cellular components of nephron (the functional unit of kidneys) from pluripotent stem cells such as human ES and iPS cells, and apply this to drug discovery and regenerative medicine.

Dr. Kenji Osafune's group established methods of efficiently generating intermediate mesoderm, which occurs in the course of kidney development (Mae S et al., Nat Commun, 2013). This research group and Astellas have now developed efficient methods of differentiating nephron progenitor cells from the intermediate mesoderm by treating it with various growth factors and chemical compounds.

Analysis of the nephron progenitor cells differentiated in these methods proved that they have the characteristics of genuine nephron progenitor cells in the body, including the expression of various genes specific to human nephron progenitor cells, the potential to develop into cellular components of nephron, and the formation of three-dimensional tubular structures with protein expression specific to renal tubule in vitro and in vivo.

The results suggest that these differentiation methods can induce human iPS/ES cells into nephron progenitor cells with similar developmental potentials to those in embryos. In the future, Astellas and CiRA will further develop methods of generating nephron cells, components of glomerulus and renal tubule from nephron progenitor cells, and will apply them to the development of therapeutic medicines through evaluation of drug candidates and preparation of disease models, and further open the door for the development of new cell-based therapies for the treatment of kidney diseases as a curative therapy.

As announced in May 2013, Astellas will expand its commitment to regenerative medicine and make a full commitment to cell therapy over and above the regenerative drugs R&D conducted to date. Astellas will also promote research using somatic stem cell technology in addition to that of iPS cells. Taking advantage of these new results, Astellas will aim to realize innovative cell therapies.

About kidneys and nephrons

Kidneys remove bodily wastes from blood and excrete them into urine and serve the role of maintaining water and electrolyte balance in the body, as well as other physiological functions such as blood pressure regulation, hematopoiesis, and regulation of bone metabolism. Nephron is the functional unit for producing and excreting urine, which has glomerulus and renal tubules that contribute to that function. In renal failures, nephrons are damaged and lose their functions.
- See more at: www.noodls.com/view/92AF0FDDC0631A090792088FE9CFAB6A227DE0AA#sthash.kj9ctNIF.dpuf
The following user(s) said Thank You: rsc400

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 10:51 #1478

• fas
Oh well- this stuff is pretty far away in the future anyway.

ADRCs work very nicely in AKI as we know from the pre-clinical side.

Already in 2009 AKI patients have been treated with CCT- but as always- not announced and in "the dark". :cry:

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 12:41 #1479

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Unfortunately todays article was another example how companies really dont want to partner with Cytori even with very good data that is now about 5 years old.
Of course, we all now of Astellas' once interest in a liver application that also died years ago.
I still have in the back of my mind that its not the tech so much as perhaps they dont want to partner with the person !! ?? :bang:
If true....can anyone really blame them ? :really:
I guess the real test will be if someone steps up to the plate and claim Japan for the 2015 Regen. law launch. I have serious doubts ! :KO:

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 13:10 #1481

• fas
Hedge- what you are saying- others are telling me that too and folks are kind of slowly convincing me since I do know the technology is highly disruptive to Big Pharma except for maybe outfits like Olympus/Sony, which are on the fringe of it all.

But if this is the case- why do entities like Astellas, Green Hospital etc hold on to their shares in Cytori if these shares have no strategic value?

At least Medtronic sold their shares (1 Mio) immediately after Cytori sold HydroSorb to Kensey Nash. :KO:

Astellas: Establishment of Regenerative Medicine 01 Apr 2014 13:59 #1482

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Why they hold is anyones guess but there can be a lot of reasons to speculate other than they still expect a deal will be coming anytime soon imho,

I dont know that it matters....no changes will come.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites