Cytori´s Platform applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: Back to the roots?

Back to the roots? 05 Feb 2017 10:07 #8746

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1110
As DOV and others have stated, most investors in Cytori do not see the synergies in the Azaya acquisition sofar. I myself, did some speculation with the "TeChung Lee hamsters" and the fact that paracrine therapeutic action (including auto-immune and anti-apoptotic) can also be done with cytokines of ADRCs taken from culture medium, but obviously am guessing, since I do not have an inside track at Cytori.

What DOES still impresses me is the slide shown in San Francisco on the pipeline of Cytori which show some indications- like the Raynaud´s Habeo development and the Bone Repair opportunity in the US which seems even further developed as the BARDA burn opportunity.

I also - vividly- remember Hedrick´s past statements, that NOTHING. in respect of new applications, gets published or announced BEFORE funding is assured. So- I assume that funding of these apps is assured and waiting anxiously for proof of that fact....:grin:

Just as memory support- here the slide -

So- this topic will cover the BONE REPAIR application, which we already identified as the dental bone app developed by Marco Helder in Amsterdam- my fellow countryman.
Cytori/MacroPore always was a basic ortho Company, at least at the beginning of it all, so I spend ages of time analysing the industry before cardiac/vascular came along, which kind of became my specialty, because of personal interest. That is, my bones are not my problem, thanks to never needing PPI´s (Proton-pump inhibitors, which ruin the musculoskeletal system amongst other things) . Nonetheless, there is lots of stuff on my hard drive on ortho of which I will post some content, since it most likely become relevant again.

Note- I just will pound away, without knowing where I will end up- the subject is rather complex and encompassing :grin:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Back to the roots? Bone repair is AUTOLOGOUS 05 Feb 2017 11:04 #8748

• fas
Many will not realize this, but Stem Cell therapy has been around for ages in the practice of medicine i.e. not regulated by the FDA but by the States in respect of bone marrow transplants AND use of marrow cells for large fractures in the musculoskeletal system.
The transplants are really for critical cases like patients with leukemia and other blood cancers (or like systemic scleroderma), where the marrow (and blood cells) are destroyed with chemo and transplants are used to reignite the system from scratch. High mortality app obviously.

The use of BM in ortho has been around for probably as long as the transplants, which I can explain with the example of my eldest sun, Martin, who had a car accident (as a pedestrian) in May 2009 and which event brought me in close contact with his surgeon with whom I had very interesting exchanges.
After spending a week in Intensive care and a lot longer in the hospital and rehabilitation in May 2009, Martin´s leg looked like this in early january 2010-

Martin´s tibia (the thick bone) and fibula (the thin bone) was fractured at two spots below the knee. All kind of nails and supportive constructs were used to keep the joints weight bearable. At 7 months after the fact that should have resulted in healing of the fractures with a young person, but it wasnt.

Another image taken on the same day, shows a big gap in the fibula, where obviously the healing of endogenous cells, did not do the job- so the surgeon took marrow from Martin´s hip and transferred that to the fracture with some support.

A year later all metal was removed from the leg, so in principle there are three surgical interventions for this type of accident. Things become even more invasive, when MORE autologous bone material is needed for large fractures or spine fusion- whereby normally the iliac crest "gets hacked" and a lot of bone is taken from there, which results in severe pain in 30-40% of all patients....

Anyway- in the year 2000- AUTOLOGOUS MARROW was used in 85-90% of all severe ortho interventions. Synthetics or allo kadaver had no relevant market share. This is still the case of as of today- 2016 although somewhat declined, albeit I admit I do not know the present percentages.
Attachments:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Back to the roots? Bone repair is AUTOLOGOUS 11 Feb 2017 12:41 #8796

• fas
Cytori and ortho - i.e. bone repair

You might argue that Cytori with adoption of the OA application already is heavily involved in the orthopedic space and of course that is "somewhat" correct, but really on the non-invasive side, i.e. dealing with injections with the (hopefully) added objective of growing cartilage and not requiring (more) invasive surgery and restoring homeostasis in musculoskeletal applications.
Ortho however is a medical space for device makers and surgeons who love to yield the scalpel, but in the early days Aastrom, Medtronic, Olympus and others tried to get in-roads thru cell therapy. Cytori also, and what follows is an abstract from a "Cells Meeting" in Leipzig Germany in 2007, where Marc Hedrick spoke and delivered a speech which had the below abstract in the meeting book-

Successful bone tissue engineering requires three components:
1) responsive cells able to undergo differentiation,
2) signals such as morphogens or growth factors that induce tissue formation and
3) a biologically compatible scaffold that can transport and appropriately disseminate these cells and extracellular matrix components at the diseased or wounded site.
The optimization of these components in order to eliminate one or more of them and still have a successful therapy is the current and future of regenerative medicine.
The search for an ideal cell source for tissue engineered orthopaedic applications has led to the use of adult mesenchymal stem cells which have differentiation potential toward bone, cartilage and connective tissue cell phenotypes.
Currently, bone marrow is the principal source of stem cells for bone defect repairs. While the bone marrow-derived cells are the “gold standard” currently, they are still not “ideal”. One major drawback for using bone marrow is that the abundance of regenerative cells per unit volume is low and thus, ex vivo expansion is requisite prior to use for therapeutic applications.
Recently, multi-potential cells were identified in adipose tissue, which are able to differentiate toward orthopedically relevant cell types. The number of regenerative cells available from adipose tissue is 500 fold greater than from an equal volume of bone marrow. Additionally, the amount of available donor adipose tissue is much greater than what can be readily collected from bone marrow (easily >200 mL of adipose vs. ~40 mL of bone marrow). This makes it possible to use freshly isolated adipose-derived cells immediately at bedside, without further expansion in tissue culture. There are many published reports that describe the successful formation of bone with a variety of scaffolds and morphogenetic signals, demonstrating that bone fusion can occur without the addition of a cell source.
A single growth factor or morphogen injection (BMP-2-etc InFuse- Medtronic) can be effective in recruiting endogenous cells to the site of administration, but overuse of these factors, especially for applications such as cervical intervertebral body fusion, can adversely affect adjacent normal tissues and lead to increased postoperative morbidity.

The “gold standard” scaffold for the healing of spine fusions and critical sized (non-healing) bone defects is iliac crest-derived autologous bone. However, harvest site complications (pain and morbidity) occur in approximately 30 % of patients. The process of harvesting graft tissue increases surgical time, the loss of blood and the possibility of infection, pain, and nerve injury. The search for alternatives to autologous bone, for bone defect repair, has brought about a variety of bone substitutes as well as bone tissue engineering methods.
Scaffolds with the most advantageous microenvironment; Hydroxyapatite, Hyaluronic Acid, Allograft bone, Polylactic Acid and others can provide a native elastic modulus and optimal pore size.
Red. -beta-tricalcium phosphate (β-TCP) like Vitoss (Stryker), Osferion (Olympus) etc have made major inroads in the market and are being used in more than 500.000 times annually - but with auto cells knocked out of auto bone??????

Obviously in the past quite some development work was performed, but the money was lacking at Cytori to put applications in the clinic, since there "used to be" the all encompassing cardiac priorities. Cytori however never totally gave up on ortho applications and continued minimum development. Proof thereof are the various patent applications pending in respect of the scaffold-biodegradable polymers, which also have the desired degree of porosity and can be mixed, with other materials like collagen- most of the inventions are in the name of Riley, Susan Lynn, who however probably is not with the Company any longer.

Anyway- despite Azaya et al- I still do expect some news on the bone repair front soon....:grin:
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatboy

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.973 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites