Cytori´s Platform applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: OA (Osteoarthritis)

OA (Osteoarthritis) 12 Nov 2014 14:03 #2655

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
Since Hedrick seems to be quite determined to make OA one of his "Phase 2" data applications and I have not covered the disorder on the site at all, I will "have to" write an article about it in the applications section.

Its about time after about a year having waited for things to develop........ :bash:

Anyway - as a "news" introduction, the things that seem to be going on on the globe in matter OA... :whistle:

First - Asia- Korea is certainly most advanced, but Vietnam is doing things too. here an article....

Vietnam is among the few countries doing clinical trials to treat knee osteoarthritis (OA) using stem cells taken from a patient's fat tissue, and two of the hospitals in the country doing them say the procedure has proved effective so far.
Dr. Bui Hong Thien Khanh, head of orthopedics at the Ho Chi Minh City Medicine and Pharmacy University Hospital, told Vietweek that as of last January his hospital had performed the trials on 21 patients with OA of the knees.
Doctors use a needle to harvest about 100cc of patients' abdominal fat, and extract stem cells from the adipose tissues with a centrifuge. The patients' blood is extracted and also placed in the centrifuge to get platelet-rich plasma.
The stem cells and platelet-rich plasma are then put under a low-energy laser before being injected into the degenerative joints.Khanh said both the plasma and low-energy laser help activate dormant stem cells, which, after activation, can differentiate into cartilage cells to replace the lost ones, and stimulate the damaged cartilage tissues to regenerate.He said reviews six to 18 months after the procedure showed that all the patients had reduced pain, could walk normally, and did not suffer from other complications.An MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) six months after the operation showed the fibrillation in their cartilage had declined and the damaged cartilage had become thicker, he said.A further 17 have undergone the treatment at his hospital now, he said.Bach Mai Hospital in Hanoi is another hospital to report early success.Dr. Mai Trong Khoa, its deputy director, told Vietweek via phone that nearly 20 OA patients have received the treatment since early last year, and many of them can now walk and sit without difficulty and do not take or have reduced their daily doses of painkillers.

As you have read... the tendency being ADRCs in a not so pure SVF form, mixed with PRP. It clearly works...

Full article: Fat cells cure OA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

OA (Osteoarthritis) 12 Nov 2014 14:50 #2656

• fas
The preceding article was from November 2013- so things must have moved since than.

In November 2013 Dr Michalek of Cellthera presented at IFATS and was pictured in February 2014 on the Bahama´s at the STEMSO conference. Obviously they are looking for some "business" too. (Picture, courtesy Okyanos.com here Dr. Michalek (left) and Dr. Dudasek (right) flanking the Honorable Dr. Michael Darvill of the Bahamas with other STEMSO and local officials.)

STROMAL VASCULAR FRACTION CELLS FOR THERAPY OF 275 PATIENTS WITH OSTEOARTHRITIS
Presenter: Jaroslav Michalek, MD, PhD
Authors: Michalek J, Kristkova Z, Skopalik J,
Cibulka M, Holek M, Moster R
Cellthera Ltd
Therapy of osteoarthritis relies on non-steroid analgesics, chondroprotectives and in late stages total joint replacement is considered a standard of care. We performed a pilot study using novel stem cell therapy approach that was performed during one surgical procedure. It relies on abdominal lipoaspiration and processing of connective tissue to stromal vascular fraction (SVF) cells that typically contain relatively large amounts of mesenchymal stromal and stem cells. SVF cells are injected immediately to the target joint or to the connective tissue of the target joint. Since 2011, total of 275 patients have been recruited and followed for up to 24 months to demonstrate the therapeutical potential of freshly isolated SVF cells. At the same time, one to four joints (knees and hips) were injected with SVF cells per patient. A total number of 433 joints were treated. Semiquantitative clinical scale evaluation and non-steroid analgesics dependence was used as measurement of the clinical effect, all patients were diagnosed with stage II-IV osteoarthritis using X-ray and ultrasound, in some cases MRI was also performed to monitor the changes before and after stem cell therapy. After 3 months from SVF
therapy, at least 50% clinical improvement was recognized in 95%, at least 75% clinical improvement in 68%, and complete remission in 54% of patients, respectively. Within 1-2 weeks from SVF therapy 85% of patients were off the non-steroid analgesics and remain such for at least 6 months. No serious side effects, infection or cancer was associated with SVF cell therapy. In conclusion, here we report a novel and promising therapeutical approach that is safe, cost effective, and relying only on autologous cells.
This work was supported in part by the International Consortium for Cell Therapy and Immunotherapy ( www.iccti.eu ) and Czech Ministry of Education Grant No.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

OA (Osteoarthritis) 12 Nov 2014 15:03 #2657

• fas
If I recall right- WST and myself communicated about 3 years ago on a British clinic on OA with fat cells.

Adipoa is an organization in Europe in existence for quite some time... Adipoa and works with cultured fat cells on OA.

All in all - Cytori made critical mistakes in the past and is adjusting now, hopefully following others with more success than them being a frontrunner going nowhere... :evil:

OA (Osteoarthritis) 12 Nov 2014 16:32 #2661

• franshei
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 103
Fas, very curious, maybe not so to others:

The new clinical r/d focus is now on niche indications, such as OA (which have been shown to work with virtually no side effects). The costs of these phase 2 trials here and in EU as well as in Japan are very, very low for the next 2 years.

Yet, the company would still employ 77 people with a net burn rate around $ 4 to 5 M per Q (say $ 6 to 7 M minus $ 2 M from BARDA, if there is no other income). Why keep so many people around, with 3 sites in San Diego, Tokyo and Deeside. Neoprobe used to be high flier and was shot down due the FDA rejection of a device application. The stock went down to sub $ 1 and was delisted, because the shareholders did not OK for a r/s. Over the next few years, the company survived with just 3 employees and an annual burn of $ 1 to 3 M and one very small/ niche clinical project, which went from an IND (works done in UC San Diego) to phase 3. The PPS went from 7 cents to $ 5 from IND stage to late clinicals.

The only rationale, IMO, for keeping 3 sites and 77 people is to be a successful manufacturer of the current and new celution systems for overseas marketing, through regional partnerships (thus there is no need for a Clyde Shores and a David Oxley), while the company would keep a so-called phase 4 clinical support group.

OA (Osteoarthritis) 13 Nov 2014 06:44 #2667

• fas

The only rationale, IMO, for keeping 3 sites and 77 people is to be a successful manufacturer of the current and new celution systems for overseas marketing, through regional partnerships (thus there is no need for a Clyde Shores and a David Oxley), while the company would keep a so-called phase 4 clinical support group.

Franshei-
Thiago clearly stated that 50% of his 8 Mio annual savings came from the Sales Group and the bulk of the other 50% from General & Administrative, meaning that the large R&D group was pretty much was left intact.

Its really only Tokyo and SD, since Hedrick mentioned there was only 1 employee at Deeside at present. I presume they are waiting for the CXT2 to be ready for manufacturing to fill the place up (interesting to know if US employees or temporary British employees got the QA certificates. :KO: )
Probably only Lesley Kelly is still around out there-

Anyway- yes- I also think marketing will be done by future partners and distributors. But Celution and fresh ADRCs are just the beginning of the regenerative medicine revolution. A lot will follow for which one needs resources and R&D.
Attachments:

OA (Osteoarthritis) 13 Nov 2014 09:07 #2668

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
It seemed they still didnt have the funding to complete the CXT2 and were going to seek more from BARDA ?

Did I HEAR THAT WRONG ?

OA (Osteoarthritis) 13 Nov 2014 09:48 #2670

• fas
If BARDA is paying for the development of CTX2, I presume the funding is arranged unless the US government goes broke.

The last fact is no issue either since they have the worlds only money printing machine.. :vegas: :woohoo:

Just kidding- but they wanted to ACCELERATE the development and wanted to discuss that with BARDA i.e. if they would get some additional funds from the guys who "ordered" the machine in order to do that. :cool:

OA (Osteoarthritis) 13 Nov 2014 10:13 #2673

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
That was it accelerate....listening to the call while a going out to dinner discussion was going on...LOL

On the world monetary front....yeah...we print and print but Japan has been doing a pretty good job recently. "Some" in the EU want to do more as well...we'll see if they can. Maybe when we are finished with Cytori watch we can start a monetary policy board. :grin:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.442 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites