Household affairs and private business
  • Page:

TOPIC: Compatibility issues

Compatibility issues 08 Dec 2013 09:34 #1090

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1116
The notes from Hedge and D9 yesterday of script issues wit IE and Powerbook made me sacrifice my sunday and spent quite some time on testing this site and partly also my other sites (most of them are now on new server too- but not at Siteground ...yet) :really:

My desktop is running on XP servicepack 3 therefore is not the most modern thing around, but very stable and fast enough for MLB and everything I need. With IE 9 XP is not compatible but it is for Opera, Safari, Firefox and Google- all modern browsers that are really good.

I even downloaded Safari 5.7.1 for Windows to be familiar with that.

My conclusion after being here on the Site with IE 8 - yes- there are a whole bunch of issues with scripts of the site.

Whether they are erroneous? No I do not think so. My Joomla system is the latest, greatest and I always update tested and stable extensions to the last version.

Siteground is a hoster who is an expert in Joomla and going there did speed up the site. Problem is of course- there are bound to be compatibility issues though with old browsers and maybe old equipment too . I do not know.

I ran everything Safari, Opera, Chrome and Firefox- all is doing fine without scripts issues- IE 8 and surely below I simply cannot support as a ONE MAN BAND. :evil:

My recommendation is to upgrade to Chrom if you use IE 8 or lower. Makes much better living "on the web"

Please keep me informed about problems- but only with new browsers please. :KO:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Compatibility issues 10 Dec 2013 10:39 #1105

• d9dozrman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
fas, just an update on the slow script issue with Safari (mine, 10.5.8) is still posing problems. As OS's evolve, compatibility becomes more problematic. Apple no longer supports 10.5.8 as far as updates, which can leave holes, like the issues being had here. Personally, I believe it's the manufacturers way to force you to become current. Being old school is part of my problem, (if it ain't broke don't fix it) so to try to make things work across the board on your end, becomes damn near impossible. So, I caved in from my old school ways, and to Apple, and am now sporting the new Ipad Air, which I am using as I type, iOS 7.0.4. Quite the machine, lightning quick, should have bit the bullet long before. Quite the honor to be appointed "chief-script and mobile/PowerBook inspector" lol. I will try and live up to that title, by reporting here with various bugs that might be buzzing around. Thanks for all your efforts!

d9

Compatibility issues 10 Dec 2013 12:46 #1107

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1116
Hi D9-

We apparently are quite alike. I had this problem 3 years ago, when my 2005 desktop collapsed and decided (since I did not have back-ups of my hard disk and the disks were still OK, to give the machine heaps of power and only leave the graphics card and drives.
Was good for me- did not have a lot of work with re-installing software and programs. but than again am still stuck with XP and slowly have to start thinking about solutions.
Personally I am a Google man and hate MS, but dislike Apple even more because of the pricing, so probably wait 6 months longer for windows 8 and buy a new desktop and go thru the pain of re-installing all my goodies. My start-screen is filled top to bottom (most from the web- although I have a complete Adobe webmasters suite also)

Anyway- glad you have your toy- I am still a bit frustrated by the scripts errors, since I also noted that all 7 of my other websites run without problems on "older browsers and hardware". So despite my statement- it will stay in the back of my mind to resolve (at least I have the tools to investigate and did partially, but simply am not a developer).

The interruption of service today, was caused by "fat-cell.com" becoming a part of Siteground. The IP structure had to be re-arranged which always takes time to propagate. Fat-cell.com is "https" now- i.e.encrypted and will be my next major project. :nice:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Compatibility issues 10 Dec 2013 13:53 #1108

• d9dozrman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
fas, post when you make another attempt to resolve the script fault, and I will let you know of any resolution on this end.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites