Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Off Topic on Adult (=regenerative) cell technology, but very much related i.e. pills and drugs of which we do not know if they work
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sugar: the bitter truth

Sugar: the bitter truth 08 Jun 2015 15:16 #4640

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
Readers of this board will know that I have been doing a lot of reading in respect of natural health the past 6 months or so.

Whilst visiting plenty of pages like mercola.com and a few very good German sites, which are less commercial than most- I encountered the name Dr. Robert Lustig several times and at those occasions reference was made to a recording that was made of one of his speeches on nutrition and can be found on Youtube, called Sugar: the bitter truth. This video has been viewed over 5 Million times and I watched it (finally) for the first time yesterday.

I must admit- I am 66 years old now- so lets say. past my prime. I just wish I would have been able to pick up this knowledge 20-30 years ago (albeit- that knowledge wasnt there at that time though), so the best I can say at present- this certainly will change my life going forward

Since I have this board here, which ultimately should also do some good to the health of its readers, I feel I owe you the links and some explanation, why it will change my life.

Mind you the video is 90 minutes or so- and the follow up speech - Fat Chance- Fructose 2.0 of similar length. Sos- I will just give the links now, with the promise I will come back on it in the next couple of days.

The famous video- Sugar: the bitter truth- you find : here

Fat Chance- Fructose 2.0 : here

Its all about this- the epidemic growth of the metabolic syndrome -and that effects (almost) all of us, with ourselves or our loved ones.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CalhounDoppelganger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Sugar: the bitter truth 09 Jun 2015 11:15 #4645

• CalhounDoppelganger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Fas -

The absolute worse thing about High Fructose Corn Syrup is the following fact:

By 2012, 88 percent of corn (maize) and 94 percent of soy grown in the United States were genetically modified, according to the US Department of Agriculture.Jun 4, 2013

GMO is bad news. Plucking genetic code for organic insecticide from one vegetable only to implant it in the genetic code of another vegetable is NOT SMART. Big pharma / agriculture (synonymous to me) could care less about the ramifications of overproduction of these organically produced insecticides. i.e.- you cannot take a genetic code for a strawberry and implant it into corn because now you are consuming 10 - 15x more insecticide. This all results in more cancerous cell growth within humans. Then you have GMO crops accidentally pollinating organic farmers DESTROYING their harvest. To add insult to injury Monsanto turns around and SUES the organic farmer for patent infringement!! So now the organic farmer is out a million dollar harvest and has to then pay Monsanto millions more. Its just insane.

Now what's worse? Big Pharma using GMO crops as an anti-fertility agent in 3rd world counties....and yes, quite possibly 1st world countries as well. Sound far-fetched? Nope. WTO has already been financing this research and the end product has already been deployed.

stopthelie.com/sterility-vaccines-and-spermicidal-corn.html

Sugar: the bitter truth 10 Jun 2015 03:20 #4650

• fas

By 2012, 88 percent of corn (maize) and 94 percent of soy grown in the United States were genetically modified, according to the US Department of Agriculture.Jun 4, 2013

Yes- I have read a lot more horror stories from the likes of Monsanto and their friends at the FDA, for which reason like this- picture taken yesterday, at a place, where I passed by 2 weeks ago, scares me to death... :whistle:

Why does this scare me to death? Simple- since at these get-togethers, the leaders of this globe are trying to advance TTIP. :whistle: :puke:

And TTIP is a massive trade agreement between the US and the EU. It aims to cut tariffs, or the tax on imported goods, but TTIP also aims to harmonise laws on health and safety and the quality of goods on either side of the Atlantic, so goods like cars and corn can be traded more freely. This is where the problem comes in,
you think I want gene-manipulated poison? Or rules from the FDA which qualifies products as "GRAS" (generally regarded as safe), when I KNOW they are NOT?
No of course not. As the most liberal free trade macro-economist of this globe- I say, DUMP TTIP, my children should live a more healthy life, than what this promises.

For this reason I fully concur with the protesters, which I rarely do.

Anyway- but "the bitter truth" is all simple biochemistry, that all of us can understand.
Attachments:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Sugar: the bitter truth 10 Jun 2015 04:05 #4651

• fas
Lets repeat a small lecture again, which we learned at (bio)chemistry.

Carbohydrates are also called saccharides, a group that includes sugars-, starch and cellulose.

All that there is to know really is that there are monosaccharides, basically only glucose (also called dextrose), fructose and galactose. That there are disaccharides like lactose, maltose and sucrose and polysacharrides (for instance starch) from which the disaccharide sucrose also can be made.

A relatively small issue is, that there are differences in the composition of the disaccharide sucrose. Regular household beet sugar and sugar produced from sugar cane, contain one part fructose and one part glucose i.e. 50% of each.. Corn sugar has somewhat more fructose (which is "sweeter")- roughly 55% fructose and 45% glucose.

This is all the biochemistry one needs to know really- except maybe the "fine-tuning that the body uses enzymes to break up the monosaccharide galactose into glucose. That the disaccharide lactose (milch sugar) has 50% glucose and 50% galactose. Maltose has two glucose parts.

The KEY is, how our human body deals with the ultimate monosaccharides, i.e. glucose and fructose that it has to process.

More about that tomorrow, including why this knowledge has now changed my life. :bye: :whistle:

Sugar: the bitter truth 10 Jun 2015 13:28 #4656

• CalhounDoppelganger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
There's no turning back now
Attachments:

Sugar: the bitter truth 13 Jun 2015 07:28 #4661

• fas
I have been struggling a bit on how to bring masses of information, for which Dr. Robert Lustig requires 3 hours of speech in 2 video´s to convince his audience, in a condensed form here without chasing you away immediately... :whistle: :grin:

Lustig REALLY managed to debunk me- more to that later- but I thought it best to START with the conclusions and provide the evidence after that in a condensed form, which you can (of course) also take from the video´s and the referenced literature and whats most compelling: COMMON SENSE AND OBSERVATION.

here are the main conclusions: remember from my last post above, household sugar from beets or natural cane are 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Corn sugar or HFCS used primarily by the processed food industry has a higher fructose content. :whistle:

In the next post I will try to explain the points above.
Attachments:

Sugar: the bitter truth 13 Jun 2015 08:21 #4662

• fas

Fructose is 7 times more likely than glucose to form Advanced Glycation End-Products (AGE´s)

You will know the process from barbecuing or frying meat in your kitchen- that nice brown color and taste, which is similar to caramelization of sugar and happens also with arteries getting older- the inside turns light brown after many years, which is also caused by free radicals. My action plan includes the intake of several antioxidants going forward to combat this process..... :winky:
Wikipedia says this about AGE´s:

In human nutrition and biology, advanced glycation end products, known as AGEs, are substances that can be a factor in the development or worsening of many degenerative diseases, such as diabetes, atherosclerosis, chronic renal failure, and Alzheimer's disease.
These harmful compounds can affect nearly every type of cell and molecule in the body and are thought to be one factor in aging and in some age-related chronic diseases. They are also believed to play a causative role in the blood-vessel complications of diabetes mellitus. AGEs are seen as speeding up oxidative damage to cells and in altering their normal behavior.
AGEs are formed both outside and inside the body. Specifically, they stem from glycation reaction, which refers to the addition of a carbohydrate to a protein without the involvement of an enzyme. Glucose can bind with proteins in a process called glycation, making cells stiffer, less pliable and more subject to damage and premature aging. Outside the body, AGEs can be formed by heating (for example, cooking).

Fructose does not suppress ghrelin

This is a big issue. Processed "low fat" food which have reduced fat substituted by carbohydrates primarily consisting of fructose, simply does not satisfy your body, since the craving for food is only partly stilled by the glucose components and fat. You tend to eat more and basically if you are adding fructose, you are adding FAT to your body (mainly visceral fat, but also some fat stays in the liver-more about that later)
This is what the hormone Ghrelin does:

Ghrelin known as the "hunger hormone, is a peptide hormone produced by ghrelinergic cells in the gastrointestinal tract, which functions as a neuropeptide in the central nervous system. Besides regulating appetite, ghrelin also plays a significant role in regulating the distribution and rate of use of energy.
When the stomach is empty, ghrelin is secreted. When the stomach is stretched, secretion stops. It acts on hypothalamic brain cells both to increase hunger, and to increase gastric acid secretion and gastrointestinal motility to prepare the body for food intake.
The receptor for ghrelin, the ghrelin/growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHSR), is found on the same cells in the brain as the receptor for leptin, the satiety hormone that has opposite effects from ghrelin. Ghrelin also plays an important role in regulating reward perception in dopamine neurons that link the ventral tegmental area to the nucleus accumbens (a site that plays a role in processing sexual desire, reward, and reinforcement, and in developing addictions) through its colocalized receptors and interaction with dopamine and acetylcholine.

Acute fructose does not stimulate insulin (or/and leptin)

Everybody knows (even folks like myself, where nobody in the family has ever suffered from type 2 diabetes)- when one eats carbs, inclusive glucose, the blood sugar level increases sharply and the body (the pancreas) reacts with secreting the hormone insulin to open the cells for the body to absorb the energy of glucose and reduce the sugar levels. So, folks say, fructose is good for diabetics, since it does not raise the blood sugar level. That is correct of course, but does not bring anything either, just increases fat- not only the belly and liver, but also the VLDL (the very low density lipoproteins) or better called triglycerides- the real culprit for cardiac issues (contrary to LDL which is a myth... :evil: )
Anyway- leptin is also NOT stimulated, which impact is self-explanatory if you read the following: :KO:

Leptin (from Greek leptos, "thin"), the "satiety hormone," is a hormone made by adipose cells that helps to regulate energy balance by inhibiting hunger. Leptin is opposed by the actions of the hormone ghrelin, the "hunger hormone". Both hormones act on receptors in the arcuate nucleus of the hypothalamus to regulate appetite to achieve energy homeostasis. In obesity, a decreased sensitivity to leptin occurs, resulting in an inability to detect satiety despite high energy stores.
Although regulation of fat stores is deemed to be the primary function of leptin, it also plays a role in other physiological processes, as evidenced by its multiple sites of synthesis other than fat cells, and the multiple cell types beside hypothalamic cells that have leptin receptors. Many of these additional functions are yet to be defined

The other two MAJOR conclusions as per the slide stated in YELLOW are more the NEGATIVE RESULTS of the fructose metabolism and will ultimately make you agree with me that fructose is treated by the body... that is -THE LIVER- as a POISON.

I will cover that (maybe) tomorrow- just as a last post today on the subject... what your (and my) liver does... :yep:

Sugar: the bitter truth 13 Jun 2015 08:42 #4663

• fas
The liver is the largest glandular organ in the body and an average adult liver weighs about three pounds. Located in the upper-right portion of the abdominal cavity under the diaphragm and to the right of the stomach, the liver consists of four lobes. It receives about 1.5 quarts of blood every minute via the hepatic artery and portal vein.

The liver is an organ that secretes chemicals—one of them being bile, a substance needed to digest fats. Bile’s salts break up fat into smaller pieces so it can be absorbed more easily in the small intestine.
In addition to producing bile, the liver:
. Performs multiple critical functions to keep the body pure of toxins and harmful substances and therefore detoxifies the blood to rid it of harmful substances such as alcohol and fructose.
.Stores some vitamins and iron
.Stores the sugar glucose, but NOT the sugar fructose- see above.
.Converts stored sugar to functional sugar when the body’s sugar (glucose) levels fall below normal
.Breaks down hemoglobin as well as insulin and other hormones
.Converts ammonia to urea, which is vital in metabolism
.Destroys old red blood cells (called RBC’s)

:bye:
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.749 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites