• Page:

TOPIC: Stem cell transplant with multiple myeloma tx

Stem cell transplant with multiple myeloma tx 03 Jul 2013 12:24 #593

• myownhedgefund
  • myownhedgefund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
MD Anderson Cancer Center has successfully performed its first stem cell transplant in a patient from San Tan Valley with multiple myeloma.

The patient, a 65-year-old man, received an autologous stem cell transplant following high-dose chemotherapy. “With autologous transplants, a patient’s own stem cells are collected from blood, processed and frozen. Following the high-dose effective chemotherapy, these stem cells are thawed at the bedside and reintroduced to create healthy blood cells within a two-week period,” said Dr. Görgün Akpek, Director of Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy. “This therapy builds a new set of blood cells and bone marrow to put the cancer in remission.”

When healthy blood cells become crowded out by a hematologic cancer such as leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma and other hematologic disorders, stem cell transplantation can be the only potentially curative treatment option.

The Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy Program at Banner MD Anderson gives patients battling a wide range of hematologic malignancies and bone marrow failure syndromes renewed hope, the greatest chance of prolonging life and the possibility of a cure. The program is a member of Center for International Bone Marrow Transplantation Registry (CIBMTR).

“Our highly specialized transplant team is currently performing autologous transplants using a patient’s own stems cells. We will be launching allogeneic stem cell transplants over the next few months using matched related sibling or alternative donor stem cells including matched unrelated or haploidentical transplants using a closely matched family member’s stem cells and even umbilical cord blood unit cells,” said Dr. Akpek.

Potential stem cell transplant candidates are screened by standard eligibility testing to identify appropriate patients who would benefit most from transplantation. Each blood cancer or other bone marrow disorders at Banner MD Anderson are reviewed by a multidisciplinary tumor board to help ensure all possible treatment options are thoroughly evaluated.

The transplants help treat an array of problems related to blood and bone marrow cancers and disorders, including acute and chronic leukemia, aplastic anemia, myelofibrosis and select solid tumors and auto-immune conditions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Stem cell transplant with multiple myeloma tx 04 Jul 2013 10:04 #599

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
:grin:
MD Anderson I believe is that cancer centre in Texas. They are ultra conservative and have not accomplished anything in the past 50 years.

So now they are starting with stem cell transplants against blood cancers too, which Burke and others now have been doing for 15 years or so.

This article is just hilarious and reflective of the standard of the US media. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Stem cell transplant with multiple myeloma tx 04 Jul 2013 10:23 #600

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
Hedge- forgot to mention.

Hematopoietic stem cell transplants against blood cancers is a development from the "practice of medicine" (no company) which has been around for ages.

There are roughly 80.000 procedures done every year across the globe and the absolute US competence center is North-Western (Burke)

It divides roughly in 60% auto and 40% allo. Here in Europe you often see calls for cell spenders since with allo procedures there are severe HLA reactions and type matching is required. For a lot of blood cancer patients though the search of matching cells is in vain and comes too late.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites