• Page:

TOPIC: Spinal Injury Treatment

Spinal Injury Treatment 08 Sep 2013 15:00 #842

• rongside
  • rongside's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196
www.thanhniennews.com/index/pages/20130829-vietnam-hospital-successfully-treats-paralysis-with-stem-cells.aspx

Geron spent a fortune and effectively became bankrupt chasing the embryonic stem cell approach. Perhaps they would have been better advised to try the approach undertaken by the Vietnamese. Hopefully governments around the world are taking note of the above treatment.

It is reasonable to assume that the fat sourced ADRC will supercharge the availability of stem cells to treat the bone marrow/spine injury. Registry data in this indication will be very important in speeding up the adoption of of this treatment and testing different protocols.

As per the article, "For each patient, 200 milliliters of adipose tissues are extracted, condensed to 40 milliliters, and multiplied to eight million mononuclear cells in three weeks in the laboratory" .......... perhaps Fas should send them a link to his coke can blog article ?????
The Celution system would probably generate more than enough ADRC to treat the wound so that the whole culturing issue becomes irrelevant.

Given the need and potential of the Celution technology, 10XWD is not unreasonable. :grin:

What is unreasonable is the time it is taking to get this into the market and relieve the pain of patients and their families. :cry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: fas, d9dozrman, keysman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spinal Injury Treatment 09 Sep 2013 06:31 #847

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
Really great find John!!

A broken spinal cord is no kids stuff in terms of injury. Mind you the article does not look like it was written by an expert, so maybe it has some flows- especially- the statement only 5% of the "stem" cells were injected. They probably sorted the MSC progenitors and cultured those- more about that later. :yep:

Anyway- I posted your find in the Cell Therapy Group at LinkedIn with the following introduction-

Spinal cord injuries successfully treated with small number of fat cells
Interesting development from the "practice of medicine" reported from Hanoi, Vietnam. Acute spinal cord injuries had very impressive healing results, with relatively small numbers of fat cells injected at the site of injury. Remember-the SVF fraction contains 30-40% of MSC progenitors or pericytes, which get activated upon injury and release a "injury drugstore" of Medicinal Signaling Cells (MSCs) according to Caplan, which others however refer to as Most Suspicious Cells..

I am not sure the "industry" likes this- but patients will. :woohoo:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Spinal Injury Treatment 09 Sep 2013 09:20 #849

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Interesting...I just wish we could get some news on the non-cultured pathway.

Spinal Injury Treatment 10 Sep 2013 13:11 #852

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
After posting this some CEO of a stem cell outfit bugged me with stuff like- can not be etc, fat cells do not trans-differentiate into a neuronal pathway-

Thats why I posted this long story, which was totally agreed to by an expert- guess I did learn something the last few years- LOL- :nice:

Thank you Mr. Broeska for your insight. I am always highly appreciative of folks that take the time to explain their views to me, even if they are contrary to my own. One of your statementsI however is surely incorrect- that is- there were NO global headlines as a result of this publication in the local Vietnamese media. As somebody who has been searching for web-based information in matters regenerative medicine for many years and is rather savvy in that art, I should know. A friend of mine posted the story on my own discussion board, which I passed on to this group, since I thought it was interesting and I still think so. Please let me explain why and what my outside view of the cell industry is like. Briefly these views are as follows-
Caplan introduced the BMMSCs and their lineage pathways back in 1988 already, which resulted in a major headstart in scientific development and know-how in respect of growth and differentiation factors. Only in 2002 i.e 15 years later Zuk et al published their papers proving the plasticity and multipotential differentiation capacity of ADSCs and a similar development process started. Things all came together for me with the seminal paper by Caplan- The MSC- an injury drugstore, where he proved that the MSCs are released from perivascular locations aka are available throughout the body and particularly abundant in the adipose tissue niches. MSCs from different tissues appear to have different chemistry requirements in respect of transdifferentiation, but do share their natural injury reponse capacity.
Main thing is- I hardly believe transdifferentiation into tissue to be very relevant at the stage of clinical development where we presently are. Yes- I suspect that the main regenerative capacity of cell therapy lies in the injury response as described by Caplan- emitting soluble growth and recruitment factors which activate the remaining endogenous progenitor cells surrounding the damaged tissue.
In respect of regeneration of neuronal tissue- the paper- Fat Tissue- An underappreciated source of stem cells for biotechnology (Fraser- April 2006) discussed this aspect and concluded that, to date, no published study has demonstrated the ability of either ADSCs or BMMSCs to acquire the key functional attributes
of neuronal cells – formation of synaptic junctions and the generation or transmission of an action potential. Different animal models however showed improved outcomes, but the mechanism of therapeutic action was found to be through cell-mediated recruitment of endogeneous neural precursors.
As a patient advocate I support the clinical development by the "practice of medicine" of autologous therapies against unmet needs to accelerate speedy access to them by patients in need, since I believe the cells to be safe if of clinical grade and delivered in a responsible fashion and can be efficacious by the mechanisms of therapeutic action described above. Also- the cells that Dr. Nguyen Van Thach used and for me he does not need to have published in PubMed to do his translational work.
As a fat cells technology investor I also support clinical development the traditional way, but agree with Caplan, West and von Eschenbach that cells are not singular molecular agents and should be regulated differently. To me the upcoming regulatory developments in Japan will be a game-changer in this respect and I do expect several applications of fat cells to be the beneficiary of this process in view of significant anticipated benefit in therapeutic outcomes.
Time will tell.

This is basically the major part of the sequel I was planning on "A half can of coke"
The following user(s) said Thank You: joeycav11, d9dozrman

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites