• Page:

TOPIC: Cerebral Palsy

Cerebral Palsy 10 Dec 2013 23:03 #1110

• myownhedgefund
  • myownhedgefund's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
Union family raises funds to pay for cutting edge treatment for son with cerebral palsy
Dec 4, 2013 | Filed under: Community A special Bingo Night will be held in Portland Friday, Dec. 13, to help a union family raise money needed to pay for cutting edge stem cell injection therapy for their young son with cerebral palsy.

The Triplett family — Silvia, Gabe and Oscar.
Oscar Triplett was born to Sylvia and Gabriel Triplett on Oct. 11, 2012. A difficult 16 hours of labor caused a lack of oxygen to Oscar’s brain. As a result, he suffered global brain damage and has been diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

The family spent the first month of his life in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Emanuel Hospital in Portland.

The Triplett’s come from a strong union family. Gabe is a member of Carpenters Local 156. Silvia is a member of the Industrial Workers of the World, Gabe’s father, Steve Triplett, is a member of United Food and Commercial Workers Local 555, and his step-father, Kenny Brown, is with Operating Engineers Local 701.

Oscar has come a long way from his days in the NICU. He has been at home for over a year. He can breathe on his own, eat on his own, and is currently being weaned off his seizure medication.

But Oscar still has a long road ahead of him.

Luckily, neuroscientists are beginning to understand more about neuroplasticity and the possibility for cell growth in the brain. A cutting edge treatment for kids like Oscar provides hope. It is called umbilical cord stem cell infusion. It is done all over the world, but is still in the FDA trial period in the United States. For that reason, the treatment isn’t covered by the family’s health insurance plan.

And the treatment isn’t cheap.

The Tripletts need to raise $20,000 in order to take Oscar to Panama to receive the stem cells, then to California to do a week of post treatment intensive therapy. They’ve raised over $10,000 through family, friends, co-workers and a donation of almost $3,500 from the delegates of the Pacific Northwest Regional Council of Carpenters. But they still have a ways to go.

On Dec, 13, from 7 to 10 p.m., the Triplett family and St. Charles Parish will hold a special Bingo Night to raise funds for the treatment. There will be food, beer, popcorn, cotton candy, soda and “Oscar T-shirts” for sale. There also will be a wine pull and a kids’ corner. Bingo cards will be $1, and every game will be a 50/50 split between Oscar and the winner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: d9dozrman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cerebral Palsy 11 Dec 2013 09:46 #1112

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1110
Hedge-

Would you mind checking the cost numbers at the end of the article again?

That interests me, since if he is going to Panama, he probably goes to Neil Riordan´s Regenerative Medicine Institute (also called Medistem Panama).

That is one of the very few places that I think is trustworthy.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Cerebral Palsy 11 Dec 2013 20:34 #1115

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Why didnt that transfer ?

I am almost positive it was a $20K goal to raise.

I'll check again.

Cerebral Palsy 12 Dec 2013 01:32 #1116

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
OK really strange....it appears numbers are transfering in my post.
To clarify the last post ...they were looking to raise twenty thousand for the trip to Panama and treatment....however...it now appears Panama is now out !!! Here is the latest update.

oscarrising.wordpress.com/stem-cell-success-stories/

Cerebral Palsy 12 Dec 2013 08:54 #1117

• fas
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1110
This is highly interesting Hedge.

Dr. Steenblock. Never heard of him or read something about him at LinkedIn. Seems highly controversial, but one should not judge in this day and age on medicine, if one is not an expert. At least my distrust of the FDA has led to this position.

The Wikipedia page has a lot of links to interesting reading. - Wiki on Steenblock done by himself

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites