Adult Stem Cell News and Developments other than Cytori
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cellerant gets money from BARDA too

Cellerant gets money from BARDA too 17 Sep 2014 12:15 #2223

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
Cellerant produces CLT-008, which essentially is a collection of deep-freezed stem cells that can ultimately defrost and mature into working granulocytes, platelets and red blood cells in a person. In nonclinical models, Cellerant has shown that the treatment’s “highly effective in providing protection from lethal radiation, preventing infection, facilitating stem cell engraftment and improving overall survival.”

The news:

Stem cell therapy is one way the government’s preparing for a nation impacted by nuclear disaster.

Cellerant Therapeutics has received $ 47.5 million from the government to develop its treatment for radiation poisoning. If approved, the feds could buy the drug for the Strategic National Stockpile, which is a part of Project Bioshield - a portion of the Bush-era War on Terror that medically readies the nation against “chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear attacks.”

This is part of a $ 163.8 million commitment from the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, or BARDA.

Full article here : Cellerant News
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatboy, keysman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Cellerant gets money from BARDA too 17 Sep 2014 15:46 #2224

• fatboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 77
Fas,
Interesting company. Privately held. Treating radiation exposures propensity to affect the bodies ability to fight infection. Sounds great if it works.

Cellerant gets money from BARDA too 18 Sep 2014 07:15 #2233

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1109
Fatboy-

Yes- I have known Cellerant now for 8-9 years or so and its former CEO Bruce Cohen. They stuck "close" to the original "believes" of the value of hematopoietic cells- i.e. fighting blood disorders including cancer types, like what is being healed now with SC transplants.

We will see- the bigger money chunk is clearly, the different regulatory pathway- drugs versus device. Drug clinics are simply more expensive, since much bigger and longer.
Cytori will have the data on the primates who surely were induced to have severe ARS and I think that would be a lot more promising than some allogeneic hematopoeitic progenitor brew.
I am not so sure how one can do a clinic on humans suffering from ARS. Can only be using cancer patients who had a lot of radiation, I guess. But they would not be your "average healthy person having been exposed to sudden radiation through a terrorist attack"

Anyway- this is whats on their HP (and mind you- BARDA has quite a few other customers beyond Cytori and Cellerant)

In the event of a nuclear detonation or nuclear power plant explosion, thousands of people may die from radiation exposure. In a large population center, the predicted number of casualties ranges between 10,000 and 190,000 people. Some of these injuries are caused by the blast and heat, others from crushing injuries. But the great number of casualties is caused by the effects of radiation. The human hematopoietic (blood-forming) system is especially susceptible to radiation injury. As a result of radiation injury to the blood forming system, victims suffer from a lack of the cells that deliver oxygen (red blood cells), cells that detect and eliminate infectious agents (white blood cells), and cell components that promote blood clot formation (platelets). This set of symptoms is generally referred to as Acute Radiation Syndrome (ARS).

While some victims of moderate to high levels of radiation are beyond saving, most victims will have received enough radiation to injure but not kill their bone marrow. They will recover from their injuries, but face a 30–60 day period during which they cannot fight infections and are prone to uncontrolled bleeding and anemia. In order to remain alive until their hematopoietic system recovers, they must receive supportive care. However, the very nature of a disaster such as this will greatly decrease the availability and access to high level supportive care. Many of the victims of the Chernobyl disaster, for example, would have survived with the appropriate supportive care, but such care was not possible in the field.

Two major advantages make CLT-008 ideal for the treatment of a large number of ARS victims: treatment can be delayed until disaster response teams are in place and victims appropriately triaged, and CLT-008 can be administered in the field and used even when there is little available infrastructure to provide standard supportive care and hospitalization.

CLT-008 Will Keep People Alive After a Nuclear Attack

Cellerant Therapeutics’ CLT-008 (myeloid progenitor cells for infusion) has the potential to rescue a substantial number of ARS victims. Derived from adult blood-forming stem cells, CLT-008 has been shown in animal models to be effective in preventing lethal bacterial and fungal infections after radiation exposure. CLT-008 is an off-the-shelf frozen product which can be shipped to the disaster site, thawed, and infused into patients through a standard IV line. Once infused, CLT-008 rapidly proliferates into infection-fighting neutrophils and platelets necessary for blood clotting.

CLT-008 is designed for use even if administered several days after exposure. It can be stockpiled in a secure location, ready for rapid delivery to the site of an attack. CLT-008 acts as a temporary therapy until the individual’s own blood-forming system recovers and begins to generate its own infection-fighting and clotting cells. And it works synergistically with growth factors like G-CSF to provide protection quickly.

The following user(s) said Thank You: d9dozrman

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites